Thursday, 27 November 2008

It doesn't rain, it pours.

For once I'm not talking about the English weather.

Just had a builder round and he's given me some bad news. Do builders ever give people good news?

I was planning on just disconnecting my gas fire, removing it and replacing it with a nice grate ready for logs (seasoned logs that I would need to buy). However, it's not that simple.

The builder has told me that the "fire back", that's the back/surround of the fire that the gas fire sat in, is only rated to burn gas (around 250 degrees centigrade) and wouldn't stand up to the extremes of coal and wood (around 450 degrees centigrade). I will need to buy a new clay "fire back" and have it installed - £200.

Nice.

2 comments:

  1. Update on the "fire back": I've found a guide on how to install one on t'interweb and so I'll be doing it myself. It looks really easy and anyway what's the worse that could happen, err... apart from burning the house down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Link for "guide" mentioned above is: http://www.c20fires.co.uk/fireplace_fitting.htm

    ReplyDelete